Hats can look so fabulous and add a touch of panache to any outfit, casual or formal. However, some hats look great on us and some don’t so it helps to know what to look for when choosing one. Our face shape is one of the important factors to consider when buying a hat. Not all styles suit all face shapes. The exception here is the oval face; blessed with perfect proportions and balance, just about any hat looks great on this face shape. However, for those mere mortals amongst us who do not possess an oval face, here are some tips that may make life easier when choosing a hat for the races, the beach or just having fun in the hat department of your favourite store.
If your face is:
- Rectangular or oblong, (longer than it is wide) you will be best suited by a small crown and wide brim. Think ‘picture hats! Rounded crowns can be particularly flattering.
- Square/round, (as wide as it is long), try a tall crown and narrow brim. Avoid very wide brims and rounded crowns, in particular.
- Diamond shaped, (narrow forehead and jawline with wonderful high cheekbones) then medium crowns and medium brims will work well. A cloche hat may look fabulous!
- Heart or inverted triangle shape, (a jawline narrower than your temples), wide brimmed hats and medium high crowns will create pleasing visual balance.
- Triangular, (strong jawline wider than your temples), small to moderate brims are your best option. Definitely avoid very wide brims.
- An upturned brim helps you appear taller. Floppy brims diminish your visual height.
- Slightly rounded features on a hat and soft embellishments such as flowers and feathers can soften a sharp jawline, and/or a long, straight nose.
- Angular brims and/or asymmetrical styles can flatter round or plump faces.
- Choose a hat that not only harmonises with your outfit but harmonises with your colouring!
Remember, when your hat creates visual balance and harmony for your face, you can’t help but look…absolutely fabulous!!